A download PDF version of “Jones’s Mercantile Directory of Halifax, Huddersfield and Dewsbury, together with the Surrounding Out-Townships and Villages 1863-4“, published by Jones & Proud.
The 502 page black & white PDF was prepared from an original copy of book and the text is fully searchable.
To the best of our knowledge, this very rare trade directory has never been digitised before.
The directory contains:
- indexes (pages 21 to 31) — see the sample PDF
- directory listings for Halifax (pages 33 to 75)
- directory listings for Huddersfield (pages 79 to 126)
- directory listings for Dewsbury (pages 129 to 146)
- directory listings for “small townships and villages” (pages 149 to 252)
- directory listing by individual trades (pages 257 to 444)
- approx. 80 pages of advertisements
Once purchased, you will receive an email with a link to download the PDF file (38MB).
Please note that this book can also be read online for free. However, if you would like to show your support for the Huddersfield Exposed web site and enable us to continue digitising historic material, all of the income will be used to help secure more items. Whenever possible, the items will then be donated to one of the local public archives so that they are preserved for future generations.
This item is also part of the following discounted bundles:
- Huddersfield Trade Directories (save 35%)
The downloadable PDF files for this item are made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) licence. You may make use of the downloaded files for any non-commercial purpose permitted by the licence, e.g.:
- You may print off an unlimited number of copies of the downloaded PDF, but you may not sell these or in any other way profit from them.
- You can upload any of the files to your own non-commercial web site and make them freely available but you must provide suitable attribution (e.g. a web link back to the Huddersfield Exposed web site home page).
Allowable non-commercial purposes include private use, a personal or charitable web site that does not generate income, and educational use. Prohibited commercial uses include uploading to a commercial web site (including Facebook) and inclusion in non-free publications (such as a published book).
By ordering this item, you are agreeing to the above licensing conditions. If you have any questions relating to allowable use, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before placing an order.
Small Townships and Villages
As well as Halifax, Huddersfield and Dewsbury, the directory contains listings for the following places:
- Almondbury and Farnley Tyas
- Barkisland, Ripponden, Rishworth and Soyland
- Berry Brow and Armitage Bridge
- Earlsheaton and Chickenley
- Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall and Wadsworth
- Heckmondwike, Healey and Staincliffe
- Holmfirth and Hepworth
- Kirkburton, Clayton West, Cumberworth, Denby, Denby Dale, Nortonthorpe, Shelley, Shepley and Skelmanthorpe
- Kirkheaton and Lepton
- Lindley, Longwood, Marsh and Outlane
- Liversedge, Hightown, Littletown, Millbridge and Robert Town
- Midgley, Brearley, Cote, Cragg Vale, Luddenden, Luddenden Foot, Mytholmroyd and Warley
- Milns Bridge (Huddersfield)
- Northowram, Clayton and Queensbury
- Ossett and Horbury
- Ovenden, Bradshaw, Illingworth, Mixenden and Wheatley
- Salter Hebble
- South Crosland and Netherton
- Southowram, Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
- Sowerby, Sowerby Bridge, Cotton Stones and Triangle
- Stainland and Holywell Green
A sample PDF which includes the initial indexes and a small selection of random pages can be downloaded here if you’d like to “try before you buy”.