Two high-resolution downloadable scans of photographs of the fire that completely destroyed Swan Bank Mill in Holmfirth in October 1924.
Both photographs were by Holmfirth photographers Bray & Son. The second lower-quality photograph was published as a hand-coloured postcard.
Built in 1827 by Messrs. Hinchliffe & Horncastle, the mill is credited with introducing the spinning jenny to the Holmfirth area. The mill was later owned by Abel Cuttell, then John Brook & Sons, and finally by rug manufacturers John Beever & Sons Ltd.
The photographs were scanned at 2,400 dots per inch (DPI), giving final images with dimensions of 12,782 by 7,976 pixels and 12,501 by 7,976 pixels. Several minor blemishes were sympathetically restored using Adobe Photoshop.
Once purchased, you will have access to the following files to download:
- 2 x JPEG images (57MB & 33MB) 16 bit colour (full size)
- 2 x JPEG images (13MB & 7MB) 16 bit colour (resized to 50%)
- 2 x JPEG images (3MB & 2MB) 16 bit colour (resized to 25%)
All JPEG images were saved with 3% compression to ensure minimal loss of quality. The files are stored in a ZIP archive to ensure that they download without error.
Due to the high resolution of the scans, the images should enlarge satisfactorily up to A3 paper size.
The downloadable files are made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) licence. You may make use of the downloaded files for any non-commercial purpose permitted by the licence, e.g.:
- You may print off an unlimited number of copies of the downloaded items, but you may not sell these or in any other way profit from them.
- You can upload any of the files to your own non-commercial web site and make them freely available but you must provide suitable attribution (e.g. a web link back to the Huddersfield Exposed web site home page).
Allowable non-commercial purposes include private use, display at a free exhibition, a personal web site that does not generate income, and educational use. Prohibited commercial uses include uploading to a commercial web site and inclusion in non-free publications (such as a published book).
By ordering this item, you are agreeing to the above licensing conditions. If you have any questions relating to allowable use, please email email@example.com before placing an order.
The following sample shows the quality and level of detail of the full-sized image.